Thursday, January 29, 2009

Answering a Reader Question #35


Anonymous Wrote:

Hi I have a question I have a scar on my back due to surgery when I was an infant how to I deal with that when entering into modeling and sending pictures. also is the scar a major set back that could cause me to not get representation as a commercial print model?


Hello, and thanks for your question! Scars can be a hindrance on a modeling career but I find that it mainly depends on what type of modeling you want to do. Obviously if you wanted to be a swimsuit or lingerie model, having such scars would more than likely decrease your chances of getting work. However, you said that you are interested in getting agency representation as a commercial/print model. That changes things. While scars of any kind are generally not desired by a modeling agency, if it is something that can easily be hidden by clothing, then it should not pose a problem. Because it is on your back, I highly doubt that alone would set you back in your attempt to find a modeling agency, especially if you have a great look. So that being said, continue your agency search but be truthful when asked if you have any blemishes or scars. The agency will take a look at it and because each agency is different, some may not see it as a problem (since you wouldn't be exposing your back in the majority of the work they would book you), while others may see it as a bad thing.

When it comes to submitting your pictures, they almost always only ask for a frontal full body shot and profile shots, not back shots so I don't think you'll have to worry about your scar in that sense.

But all in all, I would say that for commercial/print purposes, having a scar on your back won't set you back awfully as it would if you had one on, say, your face, neck, chest, or another more visible part of your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment