Saturday, April 10, 2010

Bridal Season: So Much Fun!

For the past month or so I've been doing bridal fashion shows. I've been having so much fun wearing the most gorgeous wedding gowns and party dresses. The model coordinator for the shows uses the same team of models so I get to work with the same people. Of course there are times when not everyone can make it to the shows so in those instances new models are recruited. It's a lot of fun once you get to know the other models and you eventually end up becoming a family unit of sorts. Two months before the first show I had to go in to the designer's shop in order to pick my dresses and get fitted. I chose two very lovely wedding gowns with long trains, one party dress and two bridesmaid dresses (one is a really pretty dress that can also double as a dress you'd wear to a fancy dinner, while the other one is the stereotypical horrid bridesmaid dress lol).

Our call time is usually between 8:30am - 9:00am and although hair and makeup is taken care of when we get there, sometimes the ratio of makeup artists and hair stylists to models is not favorable so I've since learned to bring my own makeup bag--always come prepared! We do two shows, usually the first one is at 12:30pm and the second one is at 2:30pm so we get a nice lunch break in between.

Sometimes I think that Murphy's Law was created with the modeling industry in mind. In case you aren't familiar with this particular law, it goes as follows:

"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."

We've had girls trip up the steps, straps break, zippers get stuck, dresses not fitting like they're supposed to, etc. If you want to learn how to think on your toes and improvise, participate in a fashion show! Case and point: at the last show I did I was jumping into my beautiful, emerald green bridesmaid dress, only to discover that the emerald gems on the front were missing and was hanging by a thread. We had no time to cut it off so I put the dress on and got in line. We had to showcase that particular dress so I had to appear on stage. With about 15 seconds to think of a solution, I strategically placed my left hand in a way that held the broken part in place but I couldn't move my hand at all or else it would come off and dangle from the threads on the right side. Sounds like a move that saved the day, right? Well, the unfortunate thing was that the emerald design was located right underneath my bustline so I ended up having to put both my hands underneath my bustline while walking instead of on my hips like you're supposed to. Even though it looked odd as heck, I worked it like that was how it was supposed to be! LOL. As soon as we walked off stage, all the models were like, "Why were you walking like that?!" Hey, better to look fierce with an odd pose instead of making the dress look bad, right?

Here are some pictures from the past shows (some were taken by pros and others were taken by people in the crowd):


The picture of the green dress is how it is supposed to look normally. See how low my hands are on my hips? Picture the same thing but with my hands up under my bustline. Yikes! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment